AWS announced today the availability of the x1.32xlarge instance size. This instance has the following specifications:
- Processor: 4 x Intel™ Xeon E7 8880 v3 (Haswell) running at 2.3 GHz – 64 cores / 128 vCPUs.
- Memory: 1,952 GiB with Single Device Data Correction (SDDC+1).
- Instance Storage: 2 x 1,920 GB SSD.
- Network Bandwidth: 10 Gbps.
- Dedicated EBS Bandwidth: 10 Gbps (EBS Optimized by default at no additional cost).
As you can see it is something of a beast. The most typical use of these instances will be for SAP OLAP and OLTP workloads backed by SAP HANA. The X1 instances have already been certified by SAP for production workloads.
Consequently, AWS also released at the same time a SAP HANA Migration Guide.
As of the time of this writing it was made available in US East (Northern Virginia), US West (Oregon), Europe (Ireland), Europe (Frankfurt), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), Asia Pacific (Singapore), or Asia Pacific (Sydney). AWS claims it will span out to other regions soon.